Carving a New World

I truly wish that I could say I am "carving a new world" in the real world but I am really referring to Lukey's Christmas present... a model railroad.

I have begun the next phase of creating this little railroad world... I am transforming a flat terrain into a three dimensional world by carving the flat, blocky foam into rolling terrain, rocks, hills and ditches. 

This is an exciting time because I begin to see the world I have locked inside my head as I carve, scrape and shape this new world. It is also incredibly messy with chunks of foam flying (not quite like Edward Scissorhands but messy enough) and clinging to everything. Then, when you move and cause a disturbance of air, these foam chunks blow around the room. What a mess! (Bending over on the floor isn't helping my spinal injuries either!) 

Anyway, I just wanted to add some more photos showing this process... I hope to have this entire little railroad world carved before bedtime.

Now I need to go sharpen my tools and get to carving again...



Stepping backwards in this process, here is a shot of the goofy-looking
layers of foam before carving...

And, stepping back even further, here is shot of the perfectly flat world...


Comments