More Progress on Lukey's Railroad

Before I went any further on building Lukey's railroad Christmas present, I needed to add a couple of power feeds from the track to a jack panel to connect a transformer to this basic layout. I started drilling... then cutting with a kitchen knife... this was a relatively easy task...

This may look like a culvert but it is really where my power panel will be located... I will
be able to plug-in the appropriate transformer here using banana jacks.
 

Once I had the power feeds in place, I was able to glue down the track. This track that I'm using is an HO sectional track by Atlas called True Track. It comes with a plastic roadbed already in place. This saved me some work but the trade off is that is doesn't look as realistic. That being said, for this project, this track is just fine.

After setting the track/roadbed down in the wet glue, I placed a newly bought 30 pack of beer on the track (believe it or not, I bought this 30 pack with this project in mind)... this gives new meaning to the term "Bullet Train"! This just might be the only bullet train this country will ever see...

I let the glue holding the track in place dry for 24 hours before removing my 'bullet train'. At this point, I was able to start adding very basic contours and height to the terrain... I glued pieces of foam in place to add layers of height in select areas...

Note the added height to the terrain... also worth pointing out is the wire embedded into
the edge of the foam... this wire is providing power to power feeds around the layout.


Once the glue holding all this new foam has dried, I can start cutting and shaping... remove hard edges... and carve these rough layers into more realistic contours for terrain... So far, things are looking good!


More to come!

Comments