Health is in that Danger Zone

I've been too busy and not resting enough lately. Just as significant is the fact that I'm eating things which are known to add to my Systemic Mastocytosis problems.

Avoiding these "bad" foods can be tough sometimes. There is little choice when we eat out... there is little choice when we have dinner at someone else's home... and leftovers are always bad for me. 

Cooking fresh food for every single meal is difficult... and extremely expensive for those of us living in this neck of the woods. Needless to say, we always resort to eating leftovers because of financial concerns.

Another problem I routinely struggle with is staying well rested and avoiding overdoing it! This time of year is tough for this one. Not taxing my body at all is tough to do through the holidays. Finding time for my everyday naps is difficult... even when I do lay down to try to nap. Something always keeps me up or awakens me far too early. This may be my biggest struggle through the holidays... managing my energy.

Anyway... I missed my usual two hour nap yesterday (again...  a common theme lately). Just before it was time to do something about dinner, I felt my body plunge into a brief anaphylaxic reaction. Relatively speaking, this was a rather mild episode but it still is dangerous and it still takes a lot out of me. 

I knew the usual outcome of an anaphylaxic reaction would be coming before long so it was no surprise when it happened but I ended up spending some time in the bathroom last night. The cellular episode that causes this problem(s) takes a lot out of me but, to be honest, I don't know what takes more out of me... the initial cellular reaction or the almost-violent physical reaction which follows. After any type of Systemic Mastocytosis reaction, I always feel as though I just ran a marathon... and was hit by a bus... and was  badlybeaten... and then was run over by a big truck. To simply say, "I'm exhausted" just doesn't cut it.

Having a mast cell episode with anaphylaxic symptoms is dangerous for more than the obvious reasons related to anaphylaxis. This is a problem which lingers. My body is weakened... my life support functions are compromised... I need medications, rest and time to recover.

I immediately added appropriate medications last night but the real test will be managing my energy enough to ease any burdens to my body. Truthfully, I should be lying on the couch today taking it as easy as possible... recovering... weaning off emergency medications. Not only do I have no time for this during the holidays but getting my mind to shut down long enough to get some rest is almost impossible. That is the problem I am facing lately... I can't shut down my mind. My brain is in overdrive.

Today, I'm worn out... exhausted... my eyes want to close... I don't want to lift my hands... but my mind is running at a million miles per hour!  

My plan is to take things slowly today... be deliberate... be careful... one thing at a time... be ready to back off at the first possible signs of anaphylaxis... and have emergency medications at the ready, as always.


Comments