A Few Loon Photos

I had originally stepped outside to shoot a few photos of these loons because I saw this pair of loons being illuminated by the early morning sun and the contrast looked great... illuminated loons with darkened water surrounding them. It looked like a great opportunity. 

By the time I grabbed my camera, got out on the deck and had found a steady place to shoot, the sun was obscured by clouds... my bright light was gone. The result of dull light is rather dull, flat photos. 

Regardless of the dull, flat light, here are a few shots of our resident pair of loons...






This loon decided to take off on me and I managed to follow... if there had been more light, these two would have been crisper with less motion blur...  some gee-whiz info... a loon needs up to a few hundred yards to take off! They run across the surface of the water as we see in these photos trying to pick up enough speed to take off. Their short wingspan makes it difficult for them to get airborne but, once they do, they can fly up to 80 mph!  They can swim sort of penguin-like and they can fly in the air too... 




Comments