Time to Recover

Although the weather is beautiful today for working outdoors, I am in 'recovery mode'. My spinal pain, at rest, is in the 7-8 range on the 10 point pain scale. 

Yesterday, I dug and installed footings for the roof covering our grill/outdoor kitchen area. Then, I jacked up the adjoining playhouse to raise it four inches to match the roofline I need for this new roof over the grill/outdoor kitchen area. This work proved to be far too much for my spinal injuries. 

Anything I do adds inflammation to my spinal injuries but I've been doing a lot of things lately which require a lot of bending over and that is never good for my spine.

I don't think I slept more than a total of one hour last night! My spine was so inflamed that it was excruciating just lying in bed. I spent the night very carefully and very slowly tossing and turning trying to get comfortable enough to sleep. It didn't work. I simply could not sleep.

So, today is a down day for my health. 

As I sit here at my computer, propped up and surrounded by pillows, I figured I could write a little bit about what I have accomplished around the house lately... 

I had two footings to set in place... these two footings will hold up one end of the roof covering our outdoor grill/kitchen area...


The other end of the roof covering the new grill/kitchen area will be adjoined to a little playhouse. The playhouse needed to be raised a bit though so I could get the roof height more appropriate for the new grill/kitchen area....


I've been wanting to get another little project accomplished for many years... organizing our outdoor garden hose for convenience. (Also on this list is a water catchment system I designed as well as an outdoor shower.)  Our original hose spigot is not really located in the best location so I always wanted to move it someplace more convenient. I plumbed our hand pump to take water... you just need to lift the lever in the photo and the water runs through the pump...  the blue knob is to flow water to our garden hose...


Here is a shot of the hand pump with water flowing through it. I built this grate a few days ago... stained it... so now we can fill watering cans and buckets here next to our back door. By lifting this grate, we access our septic tank. Under the grate is gravel...  then a thin layer of dirt... then the cap to the septic tank... this grate makes it easy to locate this cap now and provides relatively easy access.  


Here is a very short video clip of the hand pump in action... 






Now we just need some vegetation to grow!  (There should be wildflowers growing in these dirt flowerbeds!) The weather through winter and spring has been so unseasonable that I think it really screwed up our normally very short growing season. Our lawn is growing and needs to be cut every few days but nothing else seems to be growing... our evergreens are just now beginning to show signs of budding new growth... no flowers at all though...


Comments