Commencing Christmas Shopping


NOTE:  Lukey and Kenzie are getting older and bigger but they still cannot read my blog, therefore, I have no problems writing about Christmas gifts for both Lukey and Kenzie. For those who can read this blog, please don't mention these gifts to Lukey and Kenzie until after their Christmas. Thanks.


I'm slightly early this year... I usually begin my Christmas shopping in September but I decided to start a month early this year in the hope of easing the financial burden that far too many people feel at the end of the year. Grandchildren at Christmastime will do that!

Lukey has been focused on and infatuated with Amtrak for years. Actually, we plan to do an Amtrak day trip soon so he can finally say he's traveled on an Amtrak train. He's seen Sheila and me do quite a few Amtrak trips over his four short years but he is still optimistic and excited about taking an Amtrak journey for himself.

Whenever Lukey plays with his freight train, he always stops at the stations on his little train set and pretends he is moving passengers on and off the train. There is no doubt that he would really enjoy running an Amtrak train considering his infatuation with Amtrak, so... that was the obvious Christmas gift for him...

About two weeks ago, I set out shopping for Amtrak trains to see how expensive they would be and to see what was available. In those first couple of weeks of shopping, I only found loonnngggg Amtrak cars (realistic size but too long) which could not navigate the tighter curves on Lukey's train set. For a few days, I even gave up hope of finding shorter Amtrak passenger cars and tried to find other gifts for Lukey.

By chance, a few days ago, I ran across a line of Amtrak passenger cars which will indeed run on Lukey's little train set! I quickly chose a few cars... a coach, a dining car, a lounge, and an observation car... then I set out to find a nice Amtrak locomotive.

Lukey really likes the faster Acela trains so I narrowed my search for a locomotive to this train. 

I found a Bachmann HHP-8 Acela locomotive... running on digital DCC... it can run on track power or overhead catenary wires (impressive)... and it has some really nice details! I ordered the locomotive and the four passenger cars immediately.  

These trains arrived yesterday and I got to break-in the locomotive and run the trains for a little bit (read I got to play!). I'm impressed with this small train! It runs beautifully.

Fortunately, I already have a long list of dollhouse things to build and buy for Kenzie for Christmas...  her presents are next on my Christmas list...

Shhhh... don't ruin the Christmas surprise!


Comments