Our Annual Train Show Weekend


Our annual extended weekend in Springfield for the biggest train show in the US is fast approaching so I was reviewing some of my video clips and photos from past shows to see if I can find some stuff to share to build some anticipation for the show. My videos and photos of these shows now have been published on multiple websites and have hundreds of thousands of views!

While I was scrolling through my own videos as well as other people's videos of past shows on YouTube, I found one which I thought was interesting and worth sharing here... Lionel Strang... a well known model railroader, author and now host of a model railroading Podcast/Vlog... was wandering around the 8 acres of show space interviewing people. Check out the two people he decided to interview at the 2:00 minute mark...






We're really looking forward to this long weekend with friends. My health has proven to sometimes crash while at this show but we always have a great time regardless. I just take a break... pump myself full of extra medications... rest for a bit... then get back with everyone as soon as my health will allow. Actually, my spinal injuries are more problematic for me than the Systemic Mastocytosis at this show... there is entirely too much standing and walking on concrete for my spinal injuries! This show is BIG... eight acres of show spread throughout four large fairground buildings. Needless to say, I always expect some health issues at this show but I prepare for them so their impact on our weekend is minimized. (Hmmm... I have a little fold-up stool that I always bring to the show but, right now, I have absolutely no idea where it is located... I'll need to find that!)

As always, I'm looking forward to seeing and photographing all the operating train layouts. The level of detailing is amazing on many of these layouts. Some may think I'm a bit ridiculous but I also really enjoy visiting the hundreds of vendors who are selling trains, models, and associated products. I always have a long list of things to buy if I see a price too good to pass up and we never leave the show empty handed. 

Barring any unforeseen weather issues, I have a feeling this year's show will be an exceptionally busy one. We are oftentimes shoulder-to-shoulder at this show but I have a feeling this one will be even more crowded and for longer each day. If the weather gets lousy... that will definitely put a crimp in the number of attendees but I'm expecting a very busy weekend!

Back a few years ago, I put together a video of clips... I just checked the year and it was the show in 2012 so it was five years ago already! It is my most popular video, by far, and thus worth sharing here again. I put a lot of work into producing this video and the end result looks great especially considering the rather crappy equipment I was using at the time!






I'll probably write a bit more as this excursion approaches but the excitement is building. Plus, I'm itching to get out of the house!


Comments