Yesterday Was A Lousy Day

Oh boy was yesterday a lousy day! 

Earlier in the morning, I was feeling quite well. I was looking forward to some exercise and my daily physical therapy. I never got that far though...

First, around lunchtime, I began to feel something wasn't right. I couldn't put my finger on the problem but I knew some lousy health to some degree was approaching.

I ate lunch and then it started... As I was trying to walk my dishes to the sink, my legs would not cooperate. At first, I wondered if they had just started to fall asleep... and hoped it wasn't a mastocytosis issue... or, was this a result of my spinal injuries?

My legs not cooperating to such a debilitating level was a bad sign though... my legs really were not cooperating at all...  I could barely move them. I made my way back to the couch. My bones and joints had been hurting since around Christmastime so that was nothing new and they were still hurting but the hurt was pushed to the background as some new symptoms emerged...

As I was sitting on the couch, my stomach started gurgling and I had a lot of cramps. "Uht, ohhh..."  Before I could get up to head for the bathroom, I started to feel lightheaded... I had some rather mild difficulty breathing... and, at this point, I knew anaphylaxis was a potential problem. Then my heart jumped into tachycardia. My heartrate jumped to around 180 beats per minute which meant my body was trying to recover from anaphylaxis on its own. It is good news that my body responded in this way but this was just the beginning...

In this case, it seems the mast cell degranulation happened in my gut/lumbar spine region which then causes all sorts of problems in that area of the body. I spent the bulk of the afternoon sick as a dog in the bathroom. I was exhausted but whenever I managed to get about 20 feet from the bathroom, I found myself needing to scurry back to the bathroom. 

My legs still were not cooperating... they sort of felt like they were mostly numb... and, at best, I was walking around sort of like Herman Munster when I could get my legs to move. It was like there was a delay... my brain would say, "move the left leg forward", and then my legs would just slowly respond by sputtering and move like my legs were immersed in molasses. I would then lose my balance because my legs weren't moving fast enough for my brain and I would need to grab something to keep from falling. 

Getting around was 'cumbersome' and a bit difficult. At this point, I wasn't sure if this was a sign of some of my spinal problems or a mast cell issue. As I spent more and more time in the bathroom, sick as a dog, I began to realize that the leg issue was probably due to either very low blood pressure causing the muscles in my legs to be starved for blood or mast cells degranulating and attacking around my lumbar spine. Either way, this wasn't good.  

Breathing difficulties continued... my legs continued to be uncooperative... and I was sick as a dog... all afternoon long. It was not pleasant but I was thankful that this hit while I was at home! Imagine if this hit while I was in a car?  Or, if we were out at a restaurant? Or, at a party? Being home was a very good thing.

By the time Sheila arrived home from work, my body was recovering on the couch... I had painful raised prickly bumps on my skin (abdomen and legs) from some angry mast cells... my heart was still beating in the 120-140 bpm range... I was weak... I was exhausted... and violent chills were beginning make an appearance.

These chills are so violent sometimes that it appears as though I am having a seizure of some sort. In reality, I am so freezing cold that my whole body is shaking violently. I didn't look in a mirror but, at this point, my face is usually devoid of all 'pinkness' (or redness if I had been flushing beforehand) and I am as pale as a ghost. The violent shivering lasted for about ten minutes this time around.

What a brutal afternoon. I slept for 12 hours last night... and I'm still exhausted this morning. The couch is calling my name today...  all day...


Comments

  1. I like your blog with a very interesting information about lousy day i really appreciate it.

    A long delayed second vlog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment