6:20 am on 6/20

I was talking with one of our lake house guests this morning about plans for this summer at the lake and that got me thinking about the last time they visited us. Naturally, I went back to a few of the folders on my hard drive that hold photos from that particular week. 

One image caught my eye... when I looked at the date and time stamp embedded in the photo, I thought it was a bit amusing... I shot this photo at 6:20 am on 6/20!

The morning fog was still well settled all across the lake but the sun had just broken through the fog illuminating some of the trees and a house directly across the lake from our house. I liked the way the sun lit up the fog and added depth, color and light to the trees on the opposite shore. Our side of the lake was still very much in the shade, hidden within the shadows and beneath the mountains behind the house. This 'first sun' of the day always seems to be the most dramatic... perhaps even more so than our daily sunsets. 

Now that I think of it, I should aim to shoot more landscapes at this time of day this year.


I'm normally shooting photos of loons this time of morning as they search for their morning breakfast. Sometimes, however, the morning light captures my attention as it burns off the cool, damp fog... 

Conditions differ from day to day... some mornings the entire lake is completely shrouded in fog and you can't see more than twenty feet in front of you... some mornings it is windy with no fog whatsoever... some mornings it is placid and the sun instantly warms everything up as it rises above the mountains behind our house. 

What is the same each morning, however, is millions upon millions of insects feasting themselves on my body as I attempt to shoot photos this early in the morning. It can be brutal trying to stay focused on shooting photos! 

Regardless of being a morning bug feast, I think I'm going to attempt to shoot more early morning landscapes this summer.


Comments