Another Great Find

I am always on the lookout for specific model trains in online auctions. (I have a long list of trains on my wish list!) Every month or two I find a few model trains that are on my list of trains that will work for my little fictional model railroad world I have designed and plan to build. 

About two weeks ago, I found an auction for a few O scale diesel locomotives. For those whom are not familiar with model train scales, trains in O scale are Lionel-sized trains but these particular locomotives run on 2 rails rather than 3 rails. I've been on the lookout for a couple more of these locomotives so I can have a few on hand to use for parts. These trains are no longer in production so parts either need to be custom-made or salvaged from other locomotives. Now, here were four more of these F9 diesel locomotives. 

The auction was to end in a week. I saved these locomotives to my eBay Watch List but, at the time, my interest wasn't fully there. I figured I would follow the auction and see what happens.

It turns out that the price remained very low over the course of the next week so I suddenly gained interest again. If I could get these locomotives at a great low price, then I couldn't pass it up. 

Things then got busy with Sheila's cancer treatment so I completely forgot about this auction.

Eventually, I received an email stating that the auction for these locomotives that I saved to my Watch List was ending in a matter of hours. The current bid was still very low so I got to thinking... "Hmmm... maybe I should put in a quick bid..."

With only less than a minute left in the auction, I placed a bid... a low bid... and I won!  

These locomotives arrived within a few days and I immediately set up a test track... they need some usual maintenance to clean up the gears of old caked-on grease but they were running fine. I know that if I clean them up and lube them they will run great. 

That was another great auction find!


I now own a little fleet of these F9 locomotives... these four and then three others in Burlington Northern's green "hockey stick" paint scheme...


If all seven of these locomotives run exceptionally well (and it looks like this will be the case since I've run each of them already), then I plan to convert all of them to digital and add more details to each locomotive. They all currently run on analog DC current... silent and smooth. Converting them to digital will provide authentic sound, lighting and momentum which adds significantly more realism. 

These are great finds!


Comments