New Lens

I haven't been completely happy with the photos I have been shooting while Sheila and I are at the hospital so I've been searching for a more appropriate lens to buy. 

The lens I had been using for documenting our hospital visits was one I had chosen for our trip to San Antonio almost three years ago. At the time, I needed an inexpensive ultra wide angle lens and that previous lens had served its purpose in San Antonio as well as in other places such as at the lake house and other cities. 

That being said, that previous lens really wasn't a great lens though because the only part of the image that would be sharp would be the center of the frame. The blurry edges of the frame for my hospital shots was not working for me at all. While we were at the hospital, I was capturing photos of Sheila composed near the edges of the frame only to find that she was always blurry when she was situated near the edge of the frame. It was driving me crazy!

This new lens needed to be a wide angle lens for these small and rather cramped hospital rooms... the lens itself needed to be small and unobtrusive... I preferred this new lens to be an autofocus lens because I found myself shooting quickly and blindly quite often during these hospital visits... and I needed this new lens to be much sharper across the entire frame than the lens I had been using up until now. Only one lens fit this description and, fortunately, it was rather inexpensive. 

I found a few different options but only one option kept my camera and lens combo very small... a new Sony 20mm f2.8 pancake lens (it is called a "pancake" lens because it is as thin as a pancake). I would have preferred a lens that was a bit faster (better for the low light in most hospitals and indoors in general) but keeping the camera and lens combo small and unobtrusive was more important for this purpose. The faster lenses were significantly larger and significantly more expensive.

Within a few days, we'll be back at the hospital and we expect to be at the hospital daily for the next few months. I'm confident that this new little lens will be very capable improvement over my previous lens for this purpose.


Comments