Garden Window Mostly Finished


This week, I've been working on building a garden window that I designed. There were a few setbacks but the window is now closed in and in a finished state, finally!

We had some lousy weather... first far too hot and humid which is particularly catastrophic for my health and that did affect my health. The sun and heat actually caused what appeared to be hives (according to Sheila) but it didn't feel like hives... regardless, my skin did not look pleasant. One day this week was so humid that I couldn't breath so I went back indoors and laid in the air conditioned house for the remainder of the day. Then we had intermittent rain causing some more delays. 

Near the end of the project, I needed to use my drill press. I don't use this benchtop tool often so I had to dig it out of the shed and dust it off. Well, I needed to do more than just dust it off... it was seized up completely.  

Clamping down the straight edge for cutting glass.
I opened the lid to the drill press to find a mouse nest on one end of the pulley assembly. The remainder of the inside of this housing was filled with mouse poo and nasty, stinking urine. The urine had rusted all the metal parts causing them to seize together. I had to spray everything down with a penetrating oil and then disassemble it. With the help of my trusty all purpose tool... the hammer... I managed to un-seize the parts that were seized together. I cleaned it all up, reassembled it and readjusted all the adjustable setttings. By this point, I had wasted a day of time and energy. I was not very happy at the end of this day.

Then, while cutting one of the panes of glass out of a larger sheet of glass, the glass broke. I was trying to make a very long cut and the straight edge moved while I was scoring the glass. This morning, Sheila and I headed to Home Depot to pick up some more glass. I learned my lesson though... this time around, I clamped down the straight edge for the long cuts and it worked perfectly, as it should. 

This afternoon, I finished assembling and installing the windows and screens. It is looking quite nice!  

I still have a few little things to accomplish before this project can be marked off as complete. I need to do a little caulking... I need to touch up some paint... I need to move a security camera which is now blocked by this garden window... and, I need to remove the inside windows so I can paint the exterior of them and stain the interior of them.  At some point I should probably add some weatherstripping too. 

It is nice to have this project mostly completed though.







Comments