Bear-Proof Trash Shed Coming Along

It has been about 50-50 between my health taking a priority and the trash shed project taking priority.  Sometimes my mast cell disease is the culprit, sometimes it is my head injury.  I can't believe that I am still having issues with my head injury.  It is still a bit painful...  I get some numbness...  I get some tingling...  I get dizziness...  I get pain in my ear and it feels like my ear is twice its normal size...  and I still get some transient cognitive issues.  

This afternoon, after working on the shed this morning until the rains arrived again, the partial numbness, tingling, and pressure on the top of my head returned yet again.  It doesn't take much, even today, for my head to remind me that I am still dealing with a mild but lingering TBI.  The other day I even had that earache come back again.  It wasn't as pronounced as it was a couple of weeks ago but it was still a nagging reminder of the head injury.

Anyway, between rainy days and health problems, I'm still slowly making some progress on our home improvement project around the house.  The biggest project I need to get finished is the bear-proof trash shed.  The finish line is in sight, finally.  If I could get my health to cooperate...  and the rain to stop interrupting my good health...  I could finish this project in a few short hours!

Here is a shot of the first door I assembled and hung...


I designed and built some "hardware" for the doors.  The handles for the doors are just simple wood door pulls that I threw together.  The homemade wood barrel bolts took some thinking and creativity but they came out nicely and I doubt that a bear could open this latch!


Here is a closer shot of the wood barrel bolts...


I needed a way to secure the bottom of the doors too so that bears can't get beyond the doors.  The mating edges of the doors actually fit together...  one side is a male edge, the other side is a female notched edge.  At the bottom of the doors, I made a large sliding bolt.  The piece of wood sticking up is a handle that slides right and left...  it slides a long piece of wood inside a notched-out 2x4 adding some extra strength to the latching of the doors...


This is a shot looking down on that bottom sliding latch.  In this view, you can see how the latch slides inside the notched 2x4...


At this point, all I have left to do is to stain the doors and install the metal roof.  The wood barrel bolts could use some adjustment too.  After today's rain, the barrel bolts are a bit too tight for my liking.  They still work but they are just a bit too tight for my liking.

Oh, I plan to add some pavers inside this shed too.  It isn't necessary but it will be a nice touch.  

I just wish my health, my head injury and the weather would cooperate.  I feel like I am getting very little accomplished.


Comments