Trash Shed Project Done

As I suspected, I only needed a few short hours to finish up the trash shed project.  I completed the entire project early this morning when I installed some pavers and gravel inside the shed. 

I had one small issue yesterday.  After all the torrential rain we had the other day and through the night, all the bare, unstained wood was swollen.  The wood was so swollen that I had difficulty opening the doors...  the wood latches were swollen shut...  the wooden tongue between the doors was swollen and jammed into the mating groove on the opposite door... it was difficult opening that brand new shed!  

I disassembled most of those swollen parts, sanded them down and then reinstalled them.  They are now slightly tight (because they are still slightly wet and swollen) but easy to operate.  Since then, I've installed the roof and stained everything so it should not swell up like that again.  

Here is a shot of it from behind showing the new roof and looking toward our house...


This morning, I quickly installed some pavers on the floor of the shed and added some pea gravel.  That was a quick half hour job and is far nicer than just having a dirt (mud) floor.


Here is a shot with the trash bins inside the shed.  I made the back wall of the shed just high enough to clear the back of the trash bins.  The hinges to open the lids of the trash bins are in the back of the bin so the lid opens up in front.  The lid can be opened up to the angle of the roof without pulling the trash bins out of the shed... 


The finished shed, all locked up and, hopefully, bear-proof.  I'm hoping that it will be too much of a bother for bears to work at getting at our trash when it is far easier to just move on to the next home.  


Last summer, a friend of ours had a bear trying to get through the screen of an opened window one night.  I am always reminded of that story whenever I am trying to decide which windows to leave open through the night.  No longer do we keep windows open that are low to the ground.  

With this new bear-proof trash shed, we will no longer have trash bins out in the open attracting the bears which is really good news!

Now on to the next project!  (the small observatory shed...)


Comments