Air - Dublinesque

Back in 2001, Billy Joel published an album called "Fantasies and Delusions" which is a complete album of classical compositions rather than the pop, pop/rock, and ballads for which Billy Joel has always been known. This was a complete departure from his three decades of previously published music and, in my opinion, this "Fantasies and Delusions" album is perhaps his best. 

If you've never listened to this album... search for it online... and listen. The album really is a beautiful album in the style of classical music of the Romantic period of the late 19th century. Admittedly, I'm not much of a fan of classical music, generally speaking, but I do occasionally enjoy some music of this Romantic period... Chopin, Liszt, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Debussy, Schumann, etc... when the mood for something on the quiet side strikes me. Billy Joel's romantic style of classical music composition really is beautiful and I often find myself listening to this album late at night or the wee hours of the morning.

This clip (below) that I am sharing here is from this "Fantasies and Delusions" album. It is Opus 10, Air - Dublinesque. One of the reasons I've chosen this piece is because this is a piece that, in some ways, traces back to my roots in piano. 

I studied piano on Long Island under a very well respected teacher and talented pianist, Jeanne Rosenberg... Billy Joel is from Oyster Bay on Long Island... and, coincidentally, a fellow student of Jeanne Rosenberg's who excelled to international recognition in a career in music as a classical pianist, Jeffrey Biegel, arranged four of these Billy Joel Opuses into "Symphonic Fantasies for Piano and Orchestra". This album definitely ties in with my roots in piano.

Considering the ties this album has to my own roots in piano and considering how much I enjoy this album, this is a piece I have enjoyed playing from time to time. This is a short clip of me playing the first minute and a half of Billy Joel's Opus 10, Air - Dublinesque...
Elisabeth Murdoch Hall - photo courtesy of Pat M2007 (Flickr)      







Comments