Snowscapes

After my periodic camera sensitivity testing this morning in the infrared wavelengths, I pulled out one of my oldest digital cameras to shoot some snowscapes.

As often is the case when I don't feel well enough to head outside, these images were shot through our open living room window because I didn't have the energy to dress for the winter weather outdoors.  For these photos, I used my Olympus E-500 with it's Kodak CCD sensor from way back in 2005.  

This camera is nothing special but the Kodak CCD sensor is special which is the only reason why I continue to hang on to this camera.  The camera likes to clip highlights which is really frustrating.  I'm constantly applying a lot of negative exposure compensation to keep the highlights under control.  Also, I have found that the Olympus cameras don't auto-focus well on items with a lot of specular highlights like ice and wet snow in the sun.  These images came out fairly well though.  

I shot in monochrome with a red filter and all of the images were shot at a very long full-frame equivalent focal length of 600mm.  These are sort of a minimalistic abstract type of photography of a play between light and shadows...




Mount Mansfield, which is very nearby, is the tallest mountain in Vermont.  This mountain is known for having the rough profile of a face across its peaks.  This next photo kind of reminds me of Mount Mansfield but is really just another snowbank in our yard...






I need to do some online 'paperwork' this evening that I put off all day today.  I have to register for this coming Wednesday's hospital visit for my bone marrow biopsy and bloodwork.  Today I felt halfway decent but my health is still seesawing back and forth from quite lousy to mediocre.  I seem to have a day of miserable health and then a day or two of decent health.  I'm hoping that my health stays stable at least until after my hospital visit on Wednesday...


Comments