View of Owl's Head

I am starting to feel a little better so I think it is time for a blog post which is a little bit on the lighter side...

A couple of weeks ago, Sheila, Adam and I climbed to the summit of Owl's Head Mountain overlooking Lake Groton. Because of my health, we drove up most of the way and then climbed for about 15 minutes to get to the summit.

My days of climbing thousands of vertical feet in a day are behind me. I've climbed many mountains and reached many summits over the decades but now I need some help getting to even the shortest mountains.

Any activity which raises my body temperature can trigger anaphylaxis so I always try to stay near roads and hospitals. I definitely try to keep my body temperature as low as possible too. Hiking and climbing deep in the woods could be a bit too risky so in recent years we have been choosing mountaintops which have roads winding to the summit. Besides, I have already climbed my share of mountains, many requiring steep vertical climbs, rockwork, and more strength and stamina than I have today.

Nevertheless, we made it to the top of Owl's Head overlooking Lake Groton just a couple of weeks ago.

It was a beautiful morning and the visibility was awesome. I'll write another blog entry and add some photos from the summit but this blog entry is about what I spotted on our drive back to the lake house.

As we were driving around the lake, I spotted Owl's Head at a break in the trees. The view from this spot was amazing mostly because of the visibility and deep blue skies. I turned the car around, parked, and then headed to the opening in the trees with one of my cameras. So, here is the view from this break in the trees...  

Owl's Head Mountain - Lake Groton, Vermont





Comments