Out Into The Cold

I've been stuck in the house for quite some time. Actually, I may have been stuck in the house for the longest time ever... in my entire life... anywhere. 

It has been so frigid cold for the past couple of months that I have not wandered from the house for more than a few minutes at a time. These drastic temperature changes caused by moving from indoors to outdoors and then back indoors have been miserable for my health. 

Another issue keeping me homebound is that my car has been sitting silently in the driveway, buried under snow, for more than a month. The car won't start so has not even run at all even to warm it up. If we have some tolerable, sunny days sometime soon, then I will get outside to see if I can salvage what is left of the old Honda and get her running again. A 15 year old car in the northeast where salt is used on the roads for more than half the year is an exceptionally old car. I fear we are at the end of this car's life expectancy.

There have been two things that have been affecting my health the most lately. First, the brutal, frigid temperatures have been making it very difficult to breath. Even on a good day, I have a diminished breathing capacity. These frigid temperatures really cause even bigger problems for my lungs as opposed to more tolerable climates. Secondly, moving from the frigid outdoor temperatures into the warmer indoor temperatures has been causing instant mast cell degranulation which, to put it mildly, has been consistently causing major problems on the stability of my health. So, I've been avoiding stepping outside which as left me feeling a bit anti-social and a bit like a hermit lately. 

Tonight, however, the sky is mostly clear... crystal clear, in fact, due to these frigid temperatures... no snow falling out of the sky... with the moon shining brightly. It has been a long time since I last attempted a shot of the moon so tonight was the night for a few quick snapshots... handheld... in the frigid cold for just a few short minutes. For a few quick handheld snapshots out in the frigid cold where my frozen breath gets in the way and shivering works against capturing crisp photos, I'm happy with the results shown here.

I've been agonizing over lenses lately. In fact, Sheila and I were discussing this very topic before I ventured out to get this shot of the moon. When we are at the lake house, I enjoy having a long lens to use for shooting wildlife and I've always felt very limited by my photography gear. I certainly push my gear to the limits and get the most out of my gear but I'm very limited. 

I could also use a good long lens for shots of the moon as well as other astronomical highlights. So, I've always felt a bit limited in what I can capture with the gear I currently own which is causing me to agonize over how to remedy this limitation affordably.  

Needless to say, until I find a viable solution to my long lens woes, I will continue to use what I have available to me. In the big scheme of things, I can't really complain about what I am getting for shots of the moon...

When the temperatures get a little more tolerable, I'd really like to get outside with my tripod to shoot some photos of the Milky Way...  I have some ideas...


Comments