A New Interest For Lukey

Lukey was excited to use one of my cameras...
This past weekend, 3 year old Lukey tried his hand at shooting some photos while we were at Shelburne Farms.  

He was having a little bit of trouble holding the camera upright even though he was using my smallest, lightest camera but he managed to capture a few good shots. I think his hands are still slightly too small for even my smallest camera. It was good to get those little fingers working though!

I set the camera to a fully automatic setting and then asked him if he wanted to shoot a few photos as I offered him the camera. He quickly figured out how to review photos after shooting... then how to get back to shooting... he did very well. That being said, he was a bit fussy about the wriststrap staying on his wrist. Every time I turned around to see how he was doing, the wriststrap was just dangling in mid-air. It's amazing he never dropped the camera!

One purpose of handing him one of my cameras was to give him some practice developing his fine motor skills. Another purpose is to develop cognitive reasoning. And lastly, a camera is also an artistic tool. It was interesting to see how he composed his shots (even though he had difficulty holding the camera up easily) and which things he found interesting enough to shoot.  

So... here are some of Lukey's first photos using a camera...




A toddler's-eye view of Papa...





Comments