A Lone Loon

Last summer, I shot a lot of loon photos. Most of them were shot in very low light... at dusk... with the sun low and usually behind the loons. This meant that I had a lot of photos that were a rather poor quality since my photography gear that I use for wildlife is quite old. 

Every now and then, however, I dig back into the folders containing these photos to see if I may have missed a decent shot that is worthy of sharing. There is almost always one more decent photo to find and while I was digging through these old photos the other night was no exception.

I found this photo, below, of a lone loon on the lake, at dusk, neck stretched, looking and searching...




It was rather dark when I shot this photo... the sun had already dropped behind the mountains... the loon was in the long shadows stretched across the darkened lake... and the loon was a significant distance away... I had to use my longest lens which is definitely less-than-ideal for low light conditions... 600mm at ISO 2500.  An ISO setting this high causes a lot of 'noise' in the photo... then when you combine that high ISO with a dark scene, it is a difficult shot, at best.

I laid prone across our dock... neck bent so I could see through my viewfinder... hundreds of evening flies and mosquitoes finding me very tasty... trying to keep the long lens steady as it rests against the dock...

The green foliage reflecting off the darkened lake surface makes a nice background for this distinctive monochromatic bird.

I'd hang this one on the wall though!


Comments