Anaphylaxis In My Sleep, continued...

We had a busy weekend again with the grandchildren. It is always nice to have them around but this weekend my health did not cooperate.

I screwed up a dose of medications on Saturday... and, other than a 15 minute snooze in the car on the way back from Burlington, I missed my usual 2 hour daily nap... and now my health is paying for these problems.

I could barely keep my eyes open on Sunday (yesterday). I felt as though I had been heavily drugged and was fighting losing consciousness. I finally had a chance to lay on the couch in the afternoon to try to get some much needed rest.

I slept for about two hours but I had a very difficult time waking myself up enough to even get up off the couch. I would try to awaken but my eyes wouldn't stay open and I would fall asleep again... and then again... and again.  As I was lying there, fighting falling asleep yet again, I was wondering if I might have experienced anaphylaxis in my sleep again. The post anaphylaxis symptoms are very obvious and I was feeling those symptoms as I tried to wake myself up.

I finally woke up enough to be able to sit upright and this is when Sheila asked how I was feeling. I think I responded with just a single word... "lousy". I still didn't have enough energy to explain that I felt as though I may have had a bout of anaphylaxis in my sleep. Sheila then explained that she thought I had anaphylaxis in my sleep...

While I was asleep on the couch, she noticed that it appeared as though my breathing stopped (probably very shallow as my blood pressure dropped dangerously low)... then I gasped for air (I always have difficulty breathing as anaphylaxis approaches and even following the anaphylaxic episode)... followed by tachycardia which was visible in my neck (which meant that my heart had responded to the anaphylaxis on its own... a very good thing)... then, she said my breathing got rather shallow again but slowly evened out...

I awoke feeling as though I was hit by a bus and then the bus backed up and ran over me... I felt like I was fighting death and barely winning. I was overwhelmingly fatigued and weak... I was dizzy... my breathing was labored... my bones ached terribly... actually, everything hurt but my bones were hurting terribly... basically, I felt miserable... typical post-anaphylaxis conditions.

When I was finally able to awaken enough to stand (wobbling, but I carefully stood), I took my dinnertime medications as well as some emergency medications. This morning I am feeling drained, weak, and overwhelmingly fatigued.

I experience anaphylaxis in my sleep fairly often and yet I still have other Systemic Mastocytosis patients telling me that their doctors say it isn't possible to experience anaphylaxis while sleeping... to those medical professionals, I say you are absolutely wrong and it angers me that medical professionals could be so wrong about something so dangerous.


Comments