Gone Fishing

When I was a child and teenager, I loved fishing. I loved being out on the water... whether it be a lake, the ocean or a bay... and applying my fishing skills to bring home an assortment of fish for dinner. My experiences proved that autumn was always best for a large assortment of fish in one outing.

After I'd do my homework, I would sometimes spend the night getting my fishing gear ready... spooling new line... cleaning and rewinding fishing pole guides... organizing my tackle box... and even studying characteristics of all the types of fish I might encounter in future fishing excursions. I really enjoyed fishing.

Getting up early in the morning to catch fish was never a problem for me... fishing at dusk was my favorite but also a bit of a frustration because not only were the hungry fish biting but so were the insatiable mosquitoes. I liked fishing any time but I knew that fishing in midday was typically a big waste of time and energy. I saved midday for sports and especially water skiing.

So, it comes as no surprise to me that the grandkids enjoy fishing. It's funny... they're terrified of any little sunfish and perch they see while they are swimming at the beach at the lake house yet they still love fishing. 

As for me and fishing today... I've been there, done that and I'd rather spend my time and energy doing things I always wished I could do rather than getting bored doing the same old sh...stuff. I'm always learning, always moving forward, always finding new interests and always setting new goals. 

It is fun watching Lukey and Kenzie enjoy something from my own childhood though...


"Geeeee...  I said, '"Turn left!'"...








Comments