Furnace Problems and Health Problems

We had some pretty consistent furnace problems a few days ago.  We had to call in a service technician after-hours and then he had to return with the more parts the following day.  

We're still experiencing a very intermittent problem though that is causing the ignition to kick on again while running.  We have another visit scheduled as soon as possible which isn't until next Thursday.  They are scheduling a week out!  

My theory is that it sounds like the burner runs out of fuel for a split second and the ignition kicks on (we hear it click on)...  then burning starts again and the ignition kicks off (we hear a dull thump and another click).  This all happens in a split second.  So, maybe there are some small scattered air bubbles getting in the line intermittently?  Or a partially sooty photocell?  Or, is it possible that the oil control ignition is faulty? 

The service technician had to replace our pump along with a couple of other things but replacing the pump required bleeding the line.  Maybe it was not bled completely so there are still a few small air bubbles working their way through?  We're hoping that this is our current/lingering issue.  So far, today, it has been running fine (knock on wood).  

The bigger bad news is that our ceramic burner chamber needs replacing.  We are scheduling that for after the heating season though at the recommendation of the service technician.  It will be a bigger job which means a far longer period of no furnace.  Because our furnace is so old, it is possible that some mounting holes may strip out (or may have rusted out) which would then mean we need an entire new furnace (similar to what happens with everyone's barbeque grill over time).  So, it is a big job and, if possible, should be scheduled for a time after the heating season.  We knew this was coming at some point because our furnace is so old so it is not a big surprise but it is never good news regardless.  Needing to spend a few thousand dollars is always difficult to hear.  In the meantime, we're just trying to keep this thing running safely for the rest of this heating season.  

Anyway, my health is slowly improving after my hospital visit almost two weeks ago (it seems like the other day though) but there is a part of recovery that is related to the stressors of a faulty furnace that is worth mentioning.  

I have a number of known triggers but stress and anxiety are major triggers for all systemic mastocytosis patients and the anxiety produced by the less-than-perfect furnace in the dead of winter is causing some anxiety.  Since I am still recovering from my health crashing spectacularly two weeks ago, my health is still very vulnerable to the smallest of triggers.  This little bit of anxiety is enough to trigger some problems and is not helping my recovery at all.

Putting aside the anxiety trigger, I'm still occasionally experiencing minor breathing difficulties as well as some dizziness/lightheadedness.  What I experienced two weeks ago was what I would classify as major breathing difficulties during anaphylaxis.  At that time, my O2 saturation was down into the low 80s. My O2 saturation levels have been higher since the steroid therapy so that is good.  As of today, during these relatively minor breathing difficulties, my O2 saturation is only getting down to around 94-95%.  When I am feeling relatively "normal" I am in the 98-99% range.  This is good but I am still experiencing lows about once a day.

I'm also still on a very restricted diet to avoid all foods that are known to cause mast cell problems.  Some foods even introduce histamine into the body and that is something we are trying to avoid.  I've drank nothing but water for the past two weeks and I truly hate drinking water.  The fact that I've continued drinking nothing but water is a sign that I am still not feeling well.    

In short, I feel as though I am still slowly recovering but this furnace issue is not helping at all!

Comments