Fell On My Biopsy Site

While Sheila and I were moving the wet, heavy, foot or more of snow this evening, I tripped while trying to move the snowblower in reverse and I fell right onto my right pelvis...  the site of last week's biopsy...  and the pain was so brutal that I was seeing stars and just continued to lie there in the snow where I landed.  

I figured that, at that point, it was probably good to just lie there in the cold snow.  Lying on my back in the snow actually was applying pressure and ice on the site of my biopsy so I really was in no hurry to attempt to get back up on my feet.  The pain was bad enough that trying to get back up to my feet would be difficult anyway.  

How I ended up in this predicament is I was blowing snow on the back side of the house cutting a clear path from the road back to our oil tank and gas tank.  This put me out of sight from Sheila who was in the driveway on the other side of the house.  After my trip and fall, I figured I would take a little break and lie there in the snow for a while.

After I made my way with the snowblower all the way back to the fuel tanks, I was then backing up making room to turn the snowblower.  As I was pulling the snowblower backward (reverse wasn't working today for some reason), I tripped over a pile of snow behind me.  I fell right down onto my right pelvis dead on the spot where I had my bone marrow biopsy last week...  the pain was through the roof....  I actually figured that Sheila would have heard my shriek over the noise of the snowblower engine as I landed on my pelvis.  

The pain took my breath away and I know I shrieked, moaned and groaned more loudly than the snowblower.   A few choice words may have flown freely from my mouth as well.  As I was lying there on my back in the snow hoping for the pain to subside a bit, I heard Sheila's snow bibs swishing with each step as she was running toward me.  I couldn't see her but I could hear her running toward me, the swishing of her snow bibs getting louder with each step.

Although it didn't take long for Sheila to run to my side of the house, it turns out that she did not hear me fall.  She was actually coming over to show me that she found a tiny camera shutter button that I had lost during our last snow storm a week ago.  She was telling me that it looks like my shutter button saved me since she was only coming to find me because she found a lost part of one of my cameras.  Finding that after getting another couple of feet of snow was like finding a needle in a haystack!

I laid there for a few more minutes and then Sheila helped me up and we continued with moving snow and clearing off the roof.  My pelvis was screaming through it all though.  I kept taking breaks and sitting down in the snow for a bit.  

By the time we headed inside, the amount of pain I was feeling had me a bit worried that I may have started some internal bleeding at the site of the biopsy.  I was feeling pain as though we had just come home from the hospital after my biopsy.  Actually, it felt as though I broke my pelvis bone!  Now I'm feeling like I am back at day one of recovery again.  

After peeling off my cold soaking wet clothes and putting on sweats, I laid down on the couch so Sheila could apply pressure to the site again.  She placed an ice pack on my pelvis and held it in place with pressure for about ten minutes.  Then I rolled over onto my back on top of the ice pack and laid there for another five minutes or so.  

Now I'm moving around very slowly again.  I'm feeling pain all through my pelvis, hip, buttocks, groin and down to my knee. I'm thinking this is a combination of pain from landing on the biopsy site and spinal pain from jolting my spinal injuries when hitting the ground.  

Every now and then something happens to remind me that I'm officially old.  I'm well aware that I'm in my sixties but needing help to get up from a very short fall is pretty pathetic.  

I suspect getting some good sleep tonight probably will not happen.  


Comments