St Paddy's Day Breakfast

I was intending to make some homemade home fries, bacon, eggs and toast for breakfast followed by some fried apples but I was too hungry to make such a large meal.  I needed to eat as soon as possible so I changed my breakfast plan to having French toast, berries, and bacon.  It was easier to make, would require less energy, require less energy, and it turned out to be delicious!

This breakfast really has nothing to do with Ireland but it was a good breakfast that was easy to make.  The food of Ireland will come later today.

After lunch, I'll be baking some homemade Irish Soda Bread.  That is something both Sheila and I really like.  My Irish Soda Bread is softer than most and definitely more moist that typical store-bought Irish Soda Bread.  I also make some sweet butter to go with it.  It is really like a dessert dish.  I sort of has a cake-like texture to it but it is crusty like a bread.  

After the bread goes in the oven, I'll clean up the kitchen and start prepping for corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots.  I do this a bit differently too.  The corned beef is slow-cooked in the oven...  alone.  I really don't like throwing all the potatoes, carrots and cabbage in a huge stock pot with the corned beef.  Everything then tastes like corned beef and I find that a bit disgusting and disappointing.  I love corned beef but I don't want my potatoes, carrots and cabbage tasting like corned beef.  I cook each separately and with it's own unique spices.

I'm still taking a lot of extra medications (since the beginning of the year) and, generally, feeling quite lousy but yesterday was a pretty good day!  I'm hoping this carries through today too allowing me to cook this pretty involved meal in a hot kitchen (I do not do well in warm environments).  I'll continue to throw extra medications at my body through today and that should help keep my body and health relatively stable.

My bone marrow biopsy site is still hurting and eliciting involuntary moans and groans to escape my mouth throughout each day.  Falling on my pelvis the other day only made this biopsy pain worse and probably made my recovery a bit longer and more painful than it should be.  

I did, however, get 11 hours of sleep last night which is good and was much needed.  Of course, the previous night I only got one hour of sleep so I was definitely exhausted.  This was more due to Sheila's mom passing in the middle of the night that night.  Although I slept fairly well last night for 11 hours, this required getting up out of bed four times through the night to use the bathroom!  I am definitely old and feeling even older!  

Anyway, I hope to be making the rest of this St Paddy's Day meal this afternoon.  We'll see if I remember to shoot some photos (I usually forget to take photos when I am cooking)...



Comments