Some Additional Panasonic G3 Color Photos

We are in the midst of a bit of a snowstorm here at the moment so, while I wait for the storm to subside a bit before heading out to remove snow from our roof, I dug out some additional Panasonic G3 color photos that I shot while at the lake house back in 2015.  

I enjoy getting out on a kayak and shooting wildlife photos.  While at the lake, these photos were mostly of loons.  I also have some nice duck photos and some Bald Eagle photos.  The Bald Eagle photos were shot with my Sony cameras though so they are not included here.  The past few blog entries have been solely about my little old Panasonic G3 so I've only included photos that I shot using that camera.

The first two photos here were shot at dusk.  This old camera struggled a bit once the light dropped off to lower levels.  What I like about this first photo is you can actually make out the iridescent blue band on the loon's neck.  This loon was looking for fish to eat and I captured this photo just as he took his head out of the water so there is still water dripping off his beak...


Not only is it dusk when I shot the next photo but the pair of loons is heading into shadow.  The sun was low enough that it was setting behind trees.  Still...  it is a nice shot...  the light on the left sharply transitioning to the shadow on the right adds some interest...  and the specular rim backlighting coming off the edges of the lead loon is nice...


I found this next loon just lurking in a corner by a neighbor's dock at the shoreline.  He was in rather dark shadow but I was close enough to him that the dark shadow didn't hurt the image in any way.  It was daytime so the ambient light level was still high.  I think this turned out to be one of my nicest loon photos and it was shot with this little old Panasonic G3...


While Sheila and I were out kayaking one afternoon, we came across a mother duck and ducklings.  I found them behind a rock outcropping on the opposite side of the lake from our house.  The ducklings were just obliviously paddling around the small area behind these rocks while the mother kept a close eye on any danger.  You can see her in the next photo.  She must have felt that Sheila and I were safe because our close proximity didn't seem to bother her in the least...



Here is a simple shot of the trees along the shoreline of the lake...  I like the texture...  I like the reflection in the water as well as the shadows in the water...  


This last photo isn't a nature nor wildlife photo but I came across it while looking for images shot with this Panasonic G3 camera and thought it was worth sharing again.  Adam was home on leave to visit us at the lake house and do some sailing.  In this photo he is on my old Minifish sailboat that is now almost 50 years old.  At the time that this photo was shot, I had just finished restoring and re-rigging it.  Unfortunately, it could use some restoring a bit again at this point.  

In this photo, Adam was on the opposite side of the lake which is quite a distance.  One of the strengths of this old Panasonic G3 camera is its reach due to its 2x crop factor.  For this photo, I'm at a 600mm equivalent focal length yet I can still make out individual drops of water in the splashing water as well the hair on his head...



I realize I have complained in the past few blog entries about the color profile of this old camera yet none of these photos I've shared seem to show poor color or even the skewed magenta color casts I had mentioned.  Actually, the colors look great!  This is because I spent a lot of time in post-processing adjusting the colors appropriately.  

As seen in these photos, with a some time and effort, I was able to get some nice results from this camera.  That being said, I was happy to send this camera in for a monochrome infrared conversion.  I should be able to capture some really nice monochrome images with it and I'm looking forward to that.

I'm going to need to head outside shortly.  We accumulated a lot of snow in the past hour or two and it is very heavy snow.  I think there is about a foot of this heavy snow on the roof now.  I believe I'll be handling moving snow in separate shifts over the next day or two.  There is too much of it and it is too heavy to be doing it all at once.


Comments