Slowly Recovering from Bone Marrow Biopsy

I'm slowly but steadily recovering from my bone marrow biopsy.  It seems like the biopsy was the day before yesterday but today is the fourth day of recovery.  I've done a lot of sleeping when the pain would allow for some sleep.  

I slept about 13 hours last night so that was good.  I awoke at around 5:30am but, contrary to the past few mornings, I was able to go back to sleep with no difficulty.  We got up at around 9am and Sheila did some yoga and then I made a fairly big breakfast.  So, I suppose I'm feeling well enough to do some cooking.



Breakfast was good!

I still have quite a bit of pain whenever I attempt to do anything.  Bending especially is painful...  sitting back against anything that puts some pressure on the site of the biopsy is even more painful...  and laying on my right side is better than it has been but at least it is possible now for short periods...  so things are improving.  

At rest when nothing is touching the area of the biopsy, the pain is now around a two out of ten.  If I bend or put any pressure on the site, the pain jumps up to around a six or so.  And it is a deep pain.  I'm also occasionally getting pain and deep itches running down into my right knee and right foot.  This sometimes happens due to my spinal injuries so it could be related to that after days of inactivity and recovery.  Getting back into my daily physical therapy in a few more days should help.

Sheila still says my biopsy site is looking good and healing well so that is very good although it is still a bit painful when she cleans me up to re-dress the site.  While Sheila was cleaning up and carefully wiping down the site last night to re-dress the site, I mentioned that she just can't catch a break...  she's been cleaning up her mother with Alzheimer's for months and now she is cleaning up me...  in particular my backside around my right pelvis.  Fun job.  

Sheila was at my bedside through the entire procedure the other day too.  I told her that I I'm not sure I could have watched all of that and especially seeing the pain it was causing.  I did watch her breast cancer biopsy though.  Actually, I not only watched it but I photographed it.  The sicker I get, however, the less I can tolerate this sort of stuff without getting queasy.  I think this is due to having less and less energy as my health slowly worsens.

I had planned to make corned beef and cabbage with some homemade Irish soda bread this weekend (it's that time of year) but Sheila easily talked me into waiting until I feel a better.  So, I suppose we'll hold off on that meal until next weekend.  Instead, tonight we'll have some pre-cooked ribs and some homemade fries.  

So, I'm slowly recovering.  I'm still incredibly fatigued but I'm only experiencing relatively mild pain and soreness most of the time.


Comments