Apparently, My Phone Line Was Down

When I picked up the telephone to call my doctor the other day, I quickly realized my phone line wasn't working.  I had nothing but dead air and I could hear myself in the handset.  I only exceptionally rarely will touch my phone so I have no idea how long this line has been down!  

I put this problem aside until I was feeling a step or two above "miserable".  At the time when I realized my phone was down, I needed to contact my doctor about my worsening COVID infection.  The phone could wait.  Contacting my doctor was the priority.  Besides, my phone line could have been down for months so it could wait another few days.

In the meantime, later that day after talking with my doctor, I ordered some parts.  

I figured my Vonage unit was okay...  I figured our two-line phone base was working fine...  and, as best as I could tell, the two wireless remote handsets seemed to be working fine.  This meant that there was likely a problem with the line running from the Vonage unit to the phone base.  More than likely, a mouse had gotten at this line and chewed it up.

This phone line is about a 35 foot run which is hidden underneath and behind many things so I have no desire to pull out this line to inspect it.  This would be a major undertaking requiring opening walls and such.  Pulling out this whole line would require far more energy than I have at the moment.  The next best option is to relocate the Vonage unit closer to the phone base.  

I originally had the Vonage unit located close to my desktop computer where I would typically use the phone but this Vonage unit really does not need to be located here.  The best option which required the least amount of work was to relocate the Vonage unit to the hallway outside the kitchen where we have the telephone base as well as our thermostat, Wifi range extender, weather station, smoke alarm remote, and CO2 detector.  This centrally located place would make this move easy.

The parts that I needed arrived in the mail today so, after a short nap, I went to work.  Within about a half hour, I had my phone line working again.  

I have no clue how long my phone has been down...  it could have been many months!

Comments