Window Shopping on Fifth Avenue

This blog entry consists mostly of photos of windows we saw on Fifth Avenue.  We did some window shopping, however, I should mention that we did quite a bit of shopping in quite a few stores on Fifth Avenue during our stay in Manhattan too.  

I'll cover our disappointments in another blog entry but I have to add a bit about our disappointments here in this blog entry since window shopping, in general, is something that left us quite disappointed during this trip thanks to Sak's Fifth Avenue and Lord & Taylor.  (Plus, I'm still a bit bitter about being infected with COVID yet again due to this trip so I'm left with a lot of bad feelings about this trip... a lot of bad, bitter feelings.)

First, Lord & Taylor is now gone so their windows and Christmas decorations were sorely missed.  Their Christmas window displays were always among the best on Fifth Avenue.  Sak's Fifth Avenue also used to be among the best but, this year, Sak's seems to have given up on artistic creativity garnered from their own employees and contracted out their windows to Christian Dior which, in our opinion, was a tremendous mistake and an enormous disappointment.  

This first photo, below, is a photo from Rockefeller Center looking toward the Sak's Fifth Avenue Christmas light show which was another major disappointment for both Sheila and me.  I think I have some video clips of this light show but, honestly, at the moment, I don't feel like wasting any of my time and energy on putting together a video of that.  It is not worth my time.  I may change my mind later and add a video...  we'll see...  On the other hand, the kids had absolutely nothing to compare this light show to so I think they enjoyed it.  Honestly, though, I don't remember any reaction from them one way or another.

So, we started at Rockefeller Center looking toward Sak's...



Then we went across the street to look at all the windows at Sak's.  Although the windows were clean and sharp with some exceptional models in them (of buildings and places...  not female models!), these windows were really just a very blatant Christian Dior advertising nightmare for those of us who just wanted to see the Sak's Christmas window displays like in past years.  I'm all for change and advancement but not for an increase in blatant advertising like we see in professional sports (which completely ruins professional sports for me, I might add). 

Regardless of the in-your-face blatant advertising that even Kenzie noticed and complained about, the modeling in each window was exceptional.  Did this blatant advertising come across as a disappointing sell-out for Saks?  Yes, absolutely.  Nevertheless, some exceptional modeling skills were showcased in each window.  However, I'm left with such a distaste for Christian Dior that I will never purchase one of their products now nor ever again.  Take note Christian Dior and Sak's, not all advertising is good advertising.  Sometimes it can hurt you and this advertising hurt...












Then we walked across the street to St Patrick's Cathedral while I talked a bit about this iconic cathedral...  if I'm going to be honest, this was lost on the kids...  


On this particular night, we then went back across the street toward Rockefeller Center...



As I mentioned in a previous blog entry, Kenzie wondered aloud why I was taking a photo of them under Atlas's butt!  It looks like he just pooped them out!


There was a video game set up in the window of the Lego store.  The kids and Gee played a couple of games.  I'm not sure what this video game had to do with Legos though.  Then again, Legos were always lost on me as a child as well as an adult so maybe there was some sort of connection to Legos that was beyond my logic.  Legos have always been too chunky and basic for my type of architectural creations (and I did create many architectural sketches and drawings of my own which were far more detailed than any Lego set could provide).  Although I don't have a clue how this game is related to Legos, the kids and Gee had some fun with this video game though...


If I remember correctly, these last two windows are from Macy's which is definitely not on Fifth Avenue!  Regardless of their location, these Macy's windows fit best in a blog entry about the windows on Fifth Avenue so I included them here.

We even did some shopping inside Macy's.  

Lukey was in desperate need of a belt.  He couldn't keep his jeans up on his hips while using his crutches so we had to find a belt for him.  Lukey apparently doesn't own a belt and we actually had a belt for him but we accidentally left it at home (I have to admit...  this was my mistake, not Lukey's).  Anyway, he needed to stop every twenty feet or so to pull up his pants so we needed to buy him a belt in Manhattan.  This provided us with a good excuse to do some shopping in Macy's.  Plus, this gave them the opportunity to ride the famous wooden escalator!




Window shopping provided us with quite a bit of entertainment while we were in Manhattan.  These windows certainly do add to all the Christmas decorations.  Unfortunately, the Sak's windows did not inspire any of us to want to venture into Sak's to shop so we moved on to other stores and spent our money elsewhere.

Regardless of my incessant complaining in this blog entry, overall, it was nice to see all the windows decorated better for Christmas than the everyday windows!  These windows definitely provided some entertainment for us.  And, I came away from this window shopping with some nice photos including some nice photos of the kids.


Comments

Post a Comment