COVID Rebound and No Sleep

I think I feel a bit better than yesterday morning but that isn't saying much.  I still feel lousy.  I'm a little over 24 hours into this rebound and I can say with absolute certainty that this rebound is far worse than the original viral infection almost two weeks ago when I tested positive for COVID.

I have a fever yet again.  It comes and goes but my temperature is currently at 100.5 degrees.  

My nose is itchy and sort of burning which makes me want/need to blow my nose constantly.  Tons of mucus is flowing out of it anyway.  Lying down in bed is impossible.  Within a minute or two, I'm sneezing and my face is covered in mucus from my nose.  Needless to say, I only managed to get a few minutes of sleep at a time through the night last night.  I just cannot sit up enough in bed to get some sleep but I seem to do better on the couch...  of course, I'm still sitting mostly upright on the couch when I sleep. 

I'll attempt to get some much-needed sleep on the couch today.  

I don't seem to be in a whole lot of pain.  I have some pressure in my sinuses, understandably, but no significant pain.  My throat is slightly scratchy.  At the moment, my joints are not hurting although my spinal injuries are always in some degree of pain, as usual.  My eyes are so watery that I have tears running down my face all day.

Last night, I realized that I should be throwing extra mast cell disease medications at this too.  This virus is causing my mast cells to degranulate more which is making my situation worse.  Later last night, I realized that I was close to anaphylaxis so I took some extra H1 blockers.  I spent some time in the bathroom with typical mast cell diarrhea too.  The extra H1 blockers really helped and I began to feel a bit more stable within an hour or so.

We're scheduled to head out of town in a few weeks for our annual train show with friends but I highly doubt I'll be feeling well enough to go.  We've cancelled in 2020 (I was sick with COVID), 2021 (I was sick with COVID), 2022 (it was the pandemic timeframe so we didn't want to risk being exposed) and we cancelled going to the 2023 show too because I had just recently gotten out of the hospital with significant breathing issues that continued through all of 2023.  I highly doubt we'll be attending this year's show.  Even if I am recovered from this bout, I highly doubt I will be ready to take the risk of exposure again.  It is just not worth it.  I'd rather stay at home and feel stable and halfway decently.

Here's to hoping I begin to feel a bit better very soon...


UPDATE:  Well, that didn't last long...  By 7:30am, I started getting dizzy (I got up out of bed at 5am)...  very hot...  flushed...  even dizzier...  then my vision started narrowing and I was getting sparkles in my eyes...   I used my epi again then took some emergency H1 blockers (Periactin).  I felt as though I might have diarrhea again so I headed into the bathroom but nothing happened there.  I guess I just experienced the typical nausea due to anaphylaxis.  

After some epinephrine, taking the Periactin and eating some oatmeal, I'm feeling more stable now.

This virus is really hammering my mast cell disease.


UPDDATE:  After lunch -  I slept on the couch all morning which I definitely needed.   I pretty much slept in one hour increments because I had to keep getting up to use the bathroom.  I'm still trying to rehydrate as much as possible so this is causing many trips to the bathroom.  

Once again, it appears as though the epinephrine and emergency medications were enough to stabilize my health.  My fever is gone...  well, my temperature might be ever so slightly elevated but it is no longer up near 101 degrees.  

My nose is still running, itching and burning.  I might attempt to throw more anti-histamines at that.  I'm taking cold medications but the cold medications don't seem to be nearly strong enough to quash COVID.  My eyes are still so watery that it is difficult to see and I have tears running down my face.

I'm getting tired again so I'm going take some extra medications and try to get more sleep. 


UPDATE:  Dinnertime - After taking a lot of extra medications today, I'm feeling far better now than I did earlier in the day.  I do have a low grade fever again...  99.3 degrees...  but my runny nose has finally slowed down a bit.  Now I only need to grab a tissue once every few minutes rather than a few tissues every minute.  I have a slight sinus headache but that will probably disappear when I take my dinnertime dose of cold medications.  

I slept all afternoon just like I did this morning.  I was still making a lot of trips to the bathroom because I'm still trying to drink as much water as possible so that kept interrupting my sleep.

Don't get me wrong, I still feel like crap and can't accomplish anything.  I'm just feeling a bit more stable than I did today and the severity of symptoms has lessened a bit to what I would call 'tolerable' levels.

Let's hope this trend continues...


Comments