Heading to the Doctor Today

It is really frustrating dealing with my primary care doctor's office lately.  

First, if you don't call between 8am and maybe around 8:10am, you have no chance of seeing your doctor that day because their schedule will be filled up already.  

Next, they won't schedule you to come in on any other days, only the current day.  Of course, annual physicals and follow-ups are scheduled in advance but not initial visits for a new condition.  This nonsense is extremely frustrating.

I was already in contact with a nurse yesterday afternoon and I was actually advised to call first thing this morning to make an appointment to see my doctor or, I should go to Urgent Care as soon as possible.  I had already stated this fact to the scheduler when I called this morning.

So, when I called this morning and quickly explained my situation and concern (possible sinus infection), the scheduler asked for the reason and I told her that I am COVID positive because I wanted her to understand that I am COVID positive and have been for the past two weeks (I definitely do not want to pass this on to anyone else) and my nasal discharge has now turned from clear to white.  She put me on hold which usually means they went to talk with a nurse so I waited for a few minutes.  My thought at this point was that the scheduler was likely concerned about a COVID positive patient coming into the office...  I was wrong.  

When she came back on the line, she stated, "You know...  there really isn't anything we can do for you...  you could test positive for months..."  

I quickly pointed out (with a little bit of a growl and bite) that I am well aware that my COVID virus will affect me for months as it always has but our concern is a possible sinus infection.  She replied with, "Oh...  yeah...  that is a concern...  can you mask up and come in at 11:30 to see Alison?"  

Lately, trying to see my doctor has become like dealing with an a**hole of a supervisor who always gives employees grief whenever they are trying to do the responsible thing by staying home because they are sick.  Consequently, I'm always well-prepared and exceptionally quick to snap back at any scheduler who also gives me grief about needing to see my doctor.  

Anyway, I'm heading to my doctor's office at around lunchtime today...  and nobody better be short with me or attempt to put me off because I am primed to walk up one side of someone and down the other like a drill sergeant in need to anger management classes or a rabies vaccine.  

And, the only thing that put me in this mood was dealing with the seemingly inept and indifferent scheduler at my doctor's office.  I haven't been in this type of mood in many years!


UPDATE:  Before I even had a chance to post this blog entry online, the nurse working with my doctor today called to triage me.  She apologetically stated, "I'm sorry but the nurse and the scheduler you spoke with were wrong.  You should remain in quarantine."  

I am still supposed to be in quarantine as I suspected.  It made no sense to me that they would want me in their office when I'm still testing positive, I am still symptomatic, and I still have a fever coming and going every single day.  I cannot go to my doctor's office, or anywhere else for that matter, because I should remain in quarantine.  The CDC guidelines are abundantly clear on this.  Only an ignorant, selfish fool cannot understand these simple guidelines for public safety.  So, this nurse changed my appointment to a televideo with my doctor.  

She apologized again but I quickly explained that an apology is not necessary because this new plan makes more sense to me...  I definitely do not want to expose anyone to this virus.

On the positive side, my doctor and her nursing staff are polite, professional and know what they are doing.  The administrative side of this practice, on the other hand...  


UPDATE:  I had my televideo appointment with my doctor.  I set up one of my cameras at my desktop computer...  tested it on Zoom...  and was ready to go.  We discussed my health for a half hour.  She sent in a prescription for an antibiotic so I'll be on that for the next week.  She agrees that I now have a sinus infection.  

Even though this bout of COVID is lingering, including the fever as well as continuing to test positive, she stated that I looked better than most of her other patients so that is good.  She is fairly confident that I would not develop any issues with my breathing at this point.  That, too, was good news to hear.  I'll keep an eye on my O2 level anyway.

She also apologized for the problems I had with the scheduler in the morning before I even mentioned having any issues.  Actually, I wasn't going to mention the scheduling problem to her but she brought it up to apologize.

In the meantime, I need to continue to remain in self-quarantine.  



Comments