Art Therapy... when possible...

As I wrote in my last blog entry, my health has been quite poor the past week or so.  Actually, my health has been pretty lousy for the past few months but the past week has been miserable, poor at best.

When my energy levels get as low has they have been the past week, I really find it difficult to even care for myself nevermind accomplish something... anything... either for myself personally or for the home. This is something I struggle with almost daily.


The Beresford from Central Park
All that being said, my plan of attack for this illness and any chronic illness is to find a way to be productive. Being productive provides a sense of purpose. Just 'surviving' through each day is not living... it is not productive... and it is hard to find purpose when one is just 'surviving' rather than 'living'. This is just as dangerous as the illness itself. We all need purpose... we need to be productive, if only occasionally... we need to 'live' and celebrate life.

Early in my illness, I still had the energy to walk or bike daily.  I was able to visit friends fairly often. I could use some energy each day playing the piano. (For those who do not play the piano, it is difficult to understand just how much energy and focus this requires. I happen to sweat like a hyperactive NCAA athlete when I play the piano!) Of course, this was only possible if I effectively managed my energy.

I stopped riding my bike regularly a couple of years ago.  Walks are few and far between now.  I stopped playing the piano well over a year ago.  I visit friends far less often. There are days where even photography is impossible. I do, however, still manage to shoot some photos and I manage to find enough energy to create some art.  Art therapy has been my purpose recently.


Portsmouth, New Hampshire
This past week I worked on three pieces of art. The first one is a painting I have been working on for a few years.  I spend a few hours on it... something bothers me about it...  I think about it... then I tackle a little more of the painting when I can envision a new change... little by little I am completing this work of art.  This piece is a painting of 'The Beresford' in Manhattan.  

'The Beresford' still needs some detail painting in on the spires and roof lines.  There is some copper on these areas and I want the copper to stand out more here in my painting. That unique green patina of weathered copper would complement the oranges and browns of the setting sun. Until I get that added to my liking, this painting will be unfinished and a bit lacking.  In the meantime, here is the current version of this painting.


The past few days also found me working on my painting of Portsmouth, NH.  This is a really beautiful little city on the Atlantic Ocean with a rich history and architecture dating back to the 1600's.

This painting is of a small alley off the winding coastal roads of downtown Portsmouth. This alley reminds me of centuries old alleys in Europe. This scene is certainly worthy of painting! That being said, I feel something is still lacking in this painting...

The last little project I worked on in recent days is a photo of the Atlantic Ocean from Jones Beach on Long Island, NY.  The original photo always bothered me because it was simply a wide angle view of an empty beach and a rather bland, flat ocean. I needed to find something artistic and interesting to add to this photo. I needed to find a way to make it "my own". In this case, I processed this image in a way which softened up the entire image.  It is certainly different than my usual work!



Beach Blur, Jones Beach State Park, Long Island, NY



Comments