The Lingering Cold Is Now Behind Me... I Hope!

I've been fighting a cold for months. With my health as poor as it is, a cold can be a major health risk and problem.

In January, I developed a typical winter cold. It lingered through to mid-April before abruptly worsening significantly.

When this cold worsened, my nose was running like a waterfall... constantly. My eyes were irritated to the point of mildly burning. After a few days and a lot of cold medications, this runny nose turned into a constant post-nasal drip... or flow. This caused me to lose my voice and I started a bit of coughing. I was having great difficulty breathing and was wondering if maybe I was developing pneumonia. Subsequently, my energy level plummeted to the lowest of lows. 

After two weeks of these significantly worsened cold symptoms and months of lingering cold symptoms, I think I am just about back to "normal"... as "normal" as I could be with Systemic Mastocytosis and extensive spinal injuries anyway. Funny thing is that the worst part of this "cold" developed almost instantly and it seemed to go away just as instantly.

These little run-of-the-mill colds wreak havoc on Systemic Mastocytosis patients. Actually, they probably wreak havoc on all people struggling with any chronic illnesses. I have to say that my energy levels were lower than they had ever been in recent memory. I had once received my Last Rites while in isolation in a military hospital... my energy level was definitely as low as it could go at that time. At that time, I wasn't just approaching death's door, I was standing in the doorway for a long period of time. The past few months truly reminded me of that very memorable experience so when I say my energy level was about as low as it could go, I actually do have a pretty good idea of the lowest of low.  

I'm feeling pretty good now and I am getting a few things accomplished in the yard little by little... between naps... slowly, but surely. It is nice to be a bit productive again and to see some progress being made around the house after a long, brutally cold winter.

It is refreshing to feel halfway decent again even if it promises to be short-lived due to my ongoing struggles with Systemic Mastocytosis.

Now I need a nap...

Comments