Weather Far Too Warm For My Health

We just exited a long, frigid winter with more snow than usual. I didn't expect all the huge piles of snow and ice to melt until a little later than usual since we had so much snow and because it had been so frigid cold. Not only is all the snow gone but we have already planted seeds for our wildflower gardens... a few weeks earlier than usual... and the temperatures are far above normal which clearly contributed to melting all this snow and ice so quickly this spring. 

Considering the extreme temperatures we've been experiencing and how quickly all this winter's snow has melted, I'm expecting a brutally hot summer this year. We are already experiencing higher than average temperatures and that is taking a toll on my health, unfortunately, but not surprisingly.

Since developing Systemic Mastocytosis, warmer than average environments have been problematic. I have difficulty breathing, I struggle with weakness, and my overwhelming fatigue becomes far more overwhelming. I also experience many transient symptoms that affect different areas of my body at different times. 

Today was the third day in a row with temperatures in the mid-80's. I am feeling like an overcooked noodle and have absolutely no energy whatsoever. I can't think clearly. I want to sleep but it is even too hot for my body to do that!

Even when indoor temperatures reach the 80's in the middle of winter, my health deteriorates quickly. I've found that when my environment is steadily in the upper-70's and above, my health becomes poor. The hotter my environment, the worse my health will be. The longer my environment is hot, the more problems I will experience with my health. 

The first problems I experience are with my breathing and flushing. Naturally, this compounds other problems such as weakness and fatigue. I experience terrible gastro-intestinal problems. My bone and joint pain increases exponentially. Mast cell episodes affecting various organs also become much more frequent and much more severe.

The month of May has just begun yet my health is struggling because of consistent weather in the 80's... this is not a good sign of things to come this summer. I may need to install air conditioners in windows much earlier than usual this year! 

In the meantime, I'm struggling to find energy to simply make meals for myself, visit the bathroom a few times a day, shower, and even think straight.



Edit (later in the evening):  The bedroom is entirely too hot to sleep...  hovering around 80 degrees... the doors and windows are open... it is raining outside... and I have resorted to putting a fan in the window. It is still too hot in the bedroom for my health and definitely too hot to sleep, for me.

I wanted to also clarify something... in mid-summer, I have absolutely no problems with summer-like weather in the 80's and 90's. That is when we should have this weather! By mid-summer, my body has somewhat acclimated to warmer temperatures and I use various cooling techniques throughout each day. I do, however, have a problem with mid-summer weather in mid-spring... it is annoying and the wildly varying temperatures are a big problem for my health... making the warm spell even more annoying.

I also have no problems with snow anytime during the six or eight months we normally get snow. Winter is winter...  a time when we should have snow falling out of the sky almost daily.

What I do find frustrating and annoying is wildly unseasonable weather such as we are experiencing now. If my body is allowed time to slowly acclimate to warmer weather, my health can stay fairly stable. Unfortunately, we are experiencing wildly fluctuating weather in extremes and that negatively impacts my health in a rather dangerous way.

Comments