A Little More Progress

My spine was feeling "fair" this morning... which, honestly, is about as good as it gets... so I decided I should attempt to finish up this bathroom toilet project.  

I took a day or two off from this project because I needed some galvanized deck screws for me to screw down the subflooring as well as for screwing down the flange. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any among all my tools. Also, my spinal injuries were screaming at me for a break.

When I placed the new toilet over the flange to see how it fits (between the wall and the flange) I realized that I forgot to pick up a new longer braided stainless steel supply hose. This new toilet is an ADA toilet so it sits a bit higher than the old toilet...  that means a slightly longer run to the tank from our toilet supply shutoff... so I needed to purchase a 16" or 20" supply hose.

On Monday night, we first went to a local hardware store to pick up these rather standard building materials... that was a complete waste of time and energy! I don't know why I ever attempt to buy anything locally... I find what I need less than 10% of the time. It is pathetic. This meant that we had to head toward Burlington again to visit The Home Depot. We were in and out of The Home Depot more quickly than the amount of time we wasted locally. While we were up near Burlington, we decided to have dinner too so that was nice.


Toilet flange installed, spacer underneath it to bring it to the
level of the finish flooring, screwed down with galvanized screws.
This morning, I immediately jumped into screwing down the subflooring. I cut a spacer collar for the flange to bring it up to the level of the finish flooring... pre-drilled some holes in this collar... and easily installed the flange, gluing it to the waste plumbing, then screwing it down with galvanized screws. Easy-peasy...

Then... I tried to stand up... my legs quickly extended, putting me into a bent-over standing position because, apparently, my spine had other thoughts on whether or not to stand. I suddenly collapsed due to intense spinal pain that buckled my knees. I ended up back on the floor in excruciating pain. 

When I could see past the stars swirling around my head, I again tried to stand... this time, however, I did it very slowly and very carefully, pushing myself up by using the vanity... straightening my spine very carefully... the pain was still quite bad but at least I wasn't seeing stars this time.

I quickly decided, "Okay, I guess it is time for a break."

After a short break and a drink, I decided that maybe I should take this recovery time to shoot another photo and share it here while my spine was getting a much needed rest. At this point, I'm not sure I'm going to attempt anything more today.

When my spine is able, I need to drag the big table saw out of the shed, through the snow, and set it up next to the back door (that alone is probably not possible right now)... then start cutting and installing the finish flooring...



Comments