It's Only 9am and I'm Out of Spoons

I awoke feeling much less energetic than on an average day. Shortly after getting out of bed I realized that I probably would not get much done on the toilet project today since I was already feeling rather lousy and I wasn't thinking clearly. My spine was still hurting enough to make sleeping difficult which also made it difficult getting up out of bed. These weren't good signs for having a productive day with a home repair project.

When I made my way out of the bedroom, I had looked out the window to see how this forecasted "storm" is progressing because I knew that if it was as bad as the forecast insisted, then I would need to spend my time and energy outside clearing off the roof of heavy snow. When I looked out the window I saw only two or three inches... for us, this is pretty much an every-morning dusting. I shook my head at this lame "storm" and continued on my way. 

While I was taking my morning slew of medications, I decided it would be wiser to first use what little energy I had on clearing off the roof so it doesn't collapse just in case I couldn't get out there later. I quickly checked the weather forecast... "Hmmm... wow... what we got now is pretty much it with this storm!"  Okay, that is great!

Sheila then told me that the snow is heavy and wet. Now I knew I would need to clear off the roof first. Only two or three inches of slush is heavy enough to collapse longer roof spans.

I put on all my winter gear and then headed outdoors... although there is very little snow out there, it is indeed slushy and heavy. Worse yet, it isn't wet and slushy enough to slide off a shovel... it just instantly bonds with anything it touches... "hmmmm... this isn't good".

I tried shoveling but every shovel of snow was a major struggle. I couldn't get the snow to slide off the shovel! Every shake of the shovel was sending jolts of sharp pain through my spine, to my hips, and down my legs. Shoveling wasn't working in my condition.

Shoveling wasn't working but I knew that I needed to start on the roof, regardless. My spine has already been excruciating so none of this was going to improve that situation at all. Our roof needed to get cleared though. I went to the back of the house for the extension ladder...

The ladder was covered in ice and icicles!  Next to it, I found the roof rake, covered in ice and icicles!  "Ugggg...."

The ice encased ladder was significantly heavier than usual but I managed to move it around to the other side of the house while carrying it vertically (there are no overhead wires around to this side of the house).  I found some solid footing for the ladder and started to step up... "Wow... this thing is pretty slippery!"

I pulled down most of the slushy, heavy snow on that side and then moved everything over to the other side of the house. This particular roof is much larger than that first roof, it has a shallower pitch and it has a much longer span so I can't rake it from the ladder...  I really need to get up on the roof to pull the snow to near the edge and then push it off onto the ground. When we get our usual light, fluffy snow this task is a piece of cake.

First, I was quickly reminded of how slippery that ice-covered ladder is... then, when I stepped onto the roof, I was instantly shown how slippery the roof is at this point!  "This should be fun..." 

I started raking this roof by trying to push some snow off the edge... pushing the snow would not work... it was too heavy and it is stuck to the roof. Combine this problem with a slippery roof and I was thinking that this could be the day that I end up in a pile of snow next to the house!

My spinal injuries were screaming at me but I eventually managed to clear off this roof too one narrow swath at a time. I tried to step out onto the ladder to climb back down to the ground. Unfortunately, at this point my legs were not cooperating and everything was covered in ice... the roof, the ladder, the rake... everything! I needed a rest so I sat down on the roof and tried carefully stretching my spine in different directions.

After five minutes or so, I was able to get out onto the ladder and climb down from the roof. 

When I got back indoors, I was having difficulty finding the energy to peel off all these winter clothes. I knew I was completely spent and exhausted... my spine was screaming... and my body just wants to go to sleep.  I was completely spent for the day and it was only 9am at this point!

I am completely out of spoons and I haven't even showered or eaten breakfast yet... (Reference The Spoon Theory - But You Don't Look Sick to understand the spoon theory... also see Chronic Illness and Fatigue to learn more about my own everyday overwhelming fatigue.)

I don't think anything will get accomplished with the bathroom toilet project today...


POST EDIT:  I had an early lunch after publishing this blog entry and then I slept until dinner... I was indeed a bit worn out and out of spoons!


Comments