An Rare Clear Sky Tonight

Unlike any other night in recent memory, tonight's sky appears to be crystal clear!

We were at Shaw's to do our weekly shopping tonight and to get our flu shots (last week was COVID shots) and, when we stepped out of the store, we were greeted with a very bright and sharp moon low in the sky.  I knew that when I got home, if it was still clear, I would be attempting to capture another photo of the moon.  

Well, surprisingly, it was still clear when we arrived home so I put together a combination of lens and camera body that I have not used yet other than for capturing photos of birds.  I truly expected Waterbury to be cloudy so I was quite surprised to see we also had clear skies.  Using this combination of lens and body would be interesting especially handholding this very long, heavy and unwieldly combination.  




For this photo, I used a Panasonic G9 body and my Canon L 400mm f5.6 lens.  And, I used autofocus which I never use for photos of the moon.  The autofocus seemed to work just fine.  The resulting photo is sharp too which was a very nice surprise especially since I did not use a tripod to keep the camera steady and instead handheld the camera.  

I'm sort of wishing I had the energy to head out there to set up a good telescope for some additional imaging.  


Comments